Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Happy December!


Happy December, everyone! I hope those that celebrate Thanksgiving had a great one filled with love and good food.  However, as fast as Thanksgiving came, it has now past and I can't believe we are now in the start of December.  As stressful as December can get, it's important to leave time for yourself this month.  Before writing this blog, I put together a short list of some of the things I'm most looking forward to this month.  Hopefully, this list will pile on and on but it's nice to have a few things to look forward to.  Let me know if anyone has something they're most excited to do for themselves in the month of December!



First things first, The Hobbit!  The Battle of the Five Armies comes out on December 15th and I can barely contain my excitement.  As much as I hate for these movies to end, I'm so excited to see what Peter Jackson has left for us in the last movie in Middle Earth.  In the meantime, I finally found The Hobbit beer at my local store to distract me in the meantime.

Next up, Vlogmas!  I am addicted to watching youtubers and for many December means logging everyday until Christmas.  Some of my favorite youtbuers to watch are Fleurdeforce, Ingrid Nilsen, and Zoella to just name a few. Another plus, is that I get to enjoy it with a cup of tea in my new favorite Downton Abbey tea cup.



Baking! The best excuse to have an extra cookie or slice of cake? BECAUSE IT'S DECEMBER!  I'm so excited to buckle down and figure out all my Christmas bake goods and this Chocolate Tea Cake is one of them.  I got this recipe from the Mulberry cookbook and it's unbelievably moist and tender.  Here is the recipe for those that are interested!


Huckleberry's Chocolate Chocolate Teacake

yield: 1 - 9x5" loaf

100g pastry flour
45g all-purpose flour
30g cocoa powder
1tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
300g coarsely chopped dark chocolate (60-70%)
140g unsalted butter, cubed, room temp
225g sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
powdered sugar for topping (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease 9x5 loaf pan.
  2. Sift together the pastry flour, all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
  3. Combine coffee, buttermilk, and vanilla.  Set aside.  Melt 130g of the chocolate gently over a double boiler or in s all bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water.  Remove the pan from the heat, but leave the chocolate over the double boiler to keep warm while you mix the cake.
  4. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, and salt on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Scrape the sides of the bowl well.  Pause mixing and add the flour mixture.  Mix just until incorporated.  With mixer on low speed, pour coffee mixture.  Fold in both the melted chocolate and the chopped chocolate.
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 55 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.  Allow to cool completely.  
  6. Place a flat plate on top of the cake and pan.  Carefully invert the cake onto the plate by flipping both upside down.  Lift the pan off the cake.  Rest your serving plate on the bottom of the cake and turn the cake right-side up onto the plate.  Once cooled, top with powdered sugar.
Huckleberry has a great cookbook that was released not too long ago and I highly suggestion everyone to get it!  It would bake an amazing Christmas gift as well for the baker in your life.




No comments :

Post a Comment