Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Caramel Apples



It's getting closer and closer to Halloween and I can't help but gravitate towards the numerous posts on instgram of the caramel apples that people are making.  I don't have much experience making caramel apples but I wanted to try my hand at it anyways.  This time, however, I wanted to get my nephew in it since he's now just starting to get into helping out in the kitchen.  This is great if you want you little ones to help out since the caramel doesn't get too hot.  It is does, just have them put on a few gloves just for extra protection.


I don't have an exact recipe for this but I basically used store bought caramel for my apples.  Since I was doing this with children I didn't want to fuss all day in the kitchen.


After melting the caramel over a double boiler, I dipped the apples one at a time making sure to have my toppings ready right after.  The caramel tends to harden and cool pretty fast so make sure you have all your toppings ready to go.  I used up what I had lying around in my pantry like marshmallows, chopped hazelnuts, pretzels, granola, and chocolate chips.  Regardless of what you decide to put on it, I assure you that it will be delicious and the children will have so much fun decorating and eating it.

What are some things that you like make during the holiday season?


No comments :

Post a Comment