Monday, February 2, 2015

Feasts of O'ahu


On my recent trip to beautiful O'ahu, I prepared my mind and my stomach for some unbelievable food.  It was my first time there and I made sure to have a handy list ready of the top places I wanted to visit.  With a lot of research under my belt and a few great recommendations from friends and family, I started my adventure.  


First stop, Leonard's Bakery located in Honolulu.  Leonard's is known for their amazing malasadas which are Portuguese style donuts. While some people steer away from long lines at a restaurant, I live for it.  Long lines typically mean great food.  Thankfully, when I arrived at Leonard's Bakery, the line was just coming out the door.  I ordered the Li Hing, Cinnamon, and Original malasadas which when are eaten hot and fresh, one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth.  

Leonard's Bakery
933 Kapahulu Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816
Phone number
(808) 737-5591

Next stop, Ono Seafood located not far from Leonard's Bakery in Honolulu.  I love seafood and I surround myself with people that love it as well.  With just a little bit of rice, I can have poke for breakfast, second breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  This is quite a small shop with just two picnic tables out front but what else do you really need, right?  I recommend the spicy ahi tuna.

Ono Seafood
747 Kapahulu Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816
Phone number
(808) 732-4806

Have you ever had any of those hallelujah moments while eating?  As if, you've never imagined something you've had many times before ever tasting so good?  That was how I felt when I had dinner at Sushi Sasabune.  I didn't go with the expectation of being wowed but sure was I wrong.  I know people are quite sensitive about knowing where the best place to get fish is in their neighborhood but please trust me when I say this is one of the best places for Japanese food.  The meal was a total of 13 courses ranging from raw abalone to baked Jamaican lobster, to uni from Santa Barbara.  This meal is not cheap coming in at $120 per head but if you're into Japanese food and feel quite adventurous, I highly recommend Sushi Sasabune.  PLEASE TRY IT! IT'S F'in AMAZING!

Sushi Sasabune
1417 S King St
Honolulu, HI 96814
Phone number
(808) 947-3800

For those with a larger party and prefer family style dining, Side Street Inn is the place for you.  The meal consists of large portions that range from kimchi fried rice, to fried chicken, and clam poke.  For a party of five, 4 entrees were plenty to fill our tummies and even pack a small doggy bag to go.  At first glance at the menu, I wasn't wowed or excited to really try anything.  Nothing seemed different or out of the ordinary.  How Side Street Inn wins you over is by flavor.  The Korean boneless fried chicken was one of the best chicken dishes I've ever had.  It was most and crispy with so much flavor.

Side Street Inn
614 Kapahulu Ave
Honolulu, HI 96815
Phone number
(808) 739-3939

Now, I know I might be upsetting a lot of people with this review but please hear me out.  I went to Hawaii so excited to try some amazing shaved ice and the top place recommended to be was Matsumoto's Shaved Ice in the north shore.  While that was great, it just got way too sweet for me.  I needed more texture to keep me satisfied.  On my next stop, I visited Island Vintage Shave Ice.  It's easy to pass since it's a stand on the street by large commercial buildings.  I ordered the Lilikoi special which consists of strawberries, mango, passionfruit, mochi, and popping boba.  IT WAS UNREAL!  The combination was so satisfying and it was cloying by the time most of it has melted.  It is a big more expensive but I recommend this if you're in the area.

Island Vintage Shave Ice 
2201 Kalakaua Ave, Bldg B, Level 1, B-1 Kiosk
Honolulu, HI 96815

View from our hike up Diamond Head

I'm so sad to be in back to the normal swing of things.  I've gotten use to the comfort, food, and amazing weather while I was there and I already miss it terribly.  Leave me a comment if anyone is traveling there soon and I want to hear everyone else's recommendations.  Also, another tip, fly Hawaiian Airlines! I felt so spoiled and treated by the staff.  I really didn't expect any food on the 5 hours flight but we were thankfully overwhelmed with complimentary breakfast and drinks.  It's the only way to fly!



No comments :

Post a Comment